This is another great recipe from Deb Perelman’s Smitten Kitten – Blueberry Crumb Bars! These deliciously, sweet and simple bars are a crowd pleaser, I promise.
A word of advice from Deb, they are definitely easier to cut once chilled. It can get real messy to cut these right after they come out of the oven, or even slightly warm. In the safety of my kitchen, I sneak a small square before chilling the rest to cut up nicely.
I’ve made these for holiday parties, bake-offs, and for no special occasion at all. They are a wonderful sweet and I challenge you not to eat the entire tray!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- With a fork, cut in butter. Add egg. The dough should be crumbly.
- Spread half of the dough into the greased pan.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Fold in blueberries. Add mixture over the crust. Spread the remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until slightly brown on top. Chill before cutting.